Police will not negotiate with Boko Haram, says IGP Ringim
On 18 February, the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) stated it would not enter into any negotiations with the extremist Islamist sect, Boko Haram.
Speaking at the passing-out parade of Cadet ASP 23/2009 and Cadet Inspector 38/2009 Course graduants, the Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Hafiz Ringim, said it was unacceptable to go into any form of negotiation with leaders or members of the sect.
The police chief’s position was apparently a response to the group’s recent demand for withdrawal of soldiers from Borno State, resignation of Borno State Governor Modu Sherrif and reconstruction of their places of worship that were destroyed in earlier clashes with security forces, as part of their conditions for ending violence. Speaking on the Hausa Service of the BBC on 7 February, the leader of the sect, Abu Suleiman, had insisted that these were their major conditions for stopping the killings of security personnel and other citizens in Borno State. But the Inspector General said the position of the police was in line with Federal government’s policy that prohibits any form of negotiation with criminals in the country.
Reiterating the police force’s resolve to bring members of the sect that had been involved in acts of violence to book, he charged the cadets to discharge their duties professionally and diligently. The passing out parade involved 203 ASP Cadets and 211 Inspectors.
Posted on March 4, 2011, in NIGERIA POLICE FORCE, NORTHERN VIOLENCE and tagged Abu Suleiman, BBC, Boko Haram, Borno State, Hafiz Ringim, Inspector General of Police, Maiduguri, Modu Sheriff, Nigeria Police Force. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.